Team Leader & Motion Designer
User Experience & Innovation
With a diverse career spanning two decades, I’ve done a lot. My personal focus has been on motion design and interactive media. I’m a designer, animator and team leader. I like working with people to solve problems and make stuff that’s cool. I’ve worked in web, mobile, automotive, television, film and video games.
I’m a dedicated creative professional who brings a positive attitude and the pursuit of excellence to my work. Precision and communication are key. I’m accustomed to balancing technical and time constraints with achieving great results.
I’ve experience building support across a global organization to bring together multiple stakeholders from different divisions to collaborate on successful projects. Early engagement is key in building a sense of ownership and participation. I excel at aligning and managing resources, goals and expectations.
As a designer, my expertise is focused on user experience, specifically motion. I’ve applied my background in film, TV and video games to raise the bar when it comes to animation and interactivity – using movement as an expression of brand identity across multiple platforms and devices. (web, mobile and automotive)
As a leader, I put personal relationships before process and hierarchy, and work to build trust and honest communication within the team and with our customers – both internal and external. I favour a multidisciplinary approach, combining research, design and development within a single unit, allowing for rapid iteration and delivery, free of dependencies.
I’m looking to join a team with purpose and passion. I’d welcome an opportunuty to discuss new horizons, and see how I can contribute to your success.
• Problem solving and creative thinking.
• Concept development and visualization.
• Building collaboration between multiple business units.
• Talking with, and listenening to customers.
• Team leadership and project management.
• User experience design.
• Motion graphics and compositing (After Effects)
• 2D artwork and interface design (Illustrator, Photoshop)
• 3D animation (3D Studio Max)
Apr 2017 – present
Head of Prototyping
Product Team, Open Location Platform
For the creation of OLP, I was tasked to work with smart cities and IoT teams to identify new features for the product roadmap and seed projects built on location services and data analytics.
- Developed an understanding of platform architecture and big data.
- Led the ‘Neutral Server’ initiative for data sharing on OLP between the public & private sector.
- Presented ‘Neutral Server’ for strategic review by leadership: “approved as presented”
- Brought together stakeholders from three corporate divisions to work on a pilot project with government and automotive customers.
- Presented OLP to the Dubai Regional Transit Authority with the global sales team.
Senior Manager, Design
Motion & Prototyping Team, Design Studio
I recruited and led a multidisciplinary team for the design and creation of functional prototypes and innovation projects. We worked to bridge the gap between design and engineering by exposing designers to real world data and services, and delivering our results in code instead of specs.
- Managed projects and budget, external spending, contractors and suppliers.
- Designed and built ‘Knightrider’ driving simulator.
- Designed and created technology demonstrations for CES and other events.
- Met with clients and senior executives to represent HERE products and services.
Principal Motion Designer
Horizontal Design Team
In 2013 I moved to Berlin to join Nokia Location and Commerce Services (aka maps). I’ve collaborated with multiple teams to elevate interactivity and bring delightful motion to their products. I also worked closely with the brand team to develop a consistent motion language as an expression of brand identity.
- Delivered motion design across desktop, mobile and automotive products.
- Defined brand aligned motion guidelines for product development.
- Worked with Engineering to implement motion language on mobile devices.
- Visualized and prototyped product concepts and user experiences.
- Created ‘Unified’ video as part of the HERE Design Agenda.
- Prototyped use of HUD and multiple screens for navigation in car.
- Provided guidance and support to product teams on motion and transition topics.
Dec 2011 – Jan 2013 (1y, 2m)
Senior Visual Designer
Store Design Team
In my first full-time corporate role I had the pleasure of joining a user-centric design team, combining research, UX and visual design in the same location.
- Graphic design of store client on Nokia mobile phones.
- Coded functional (Android) prototype of device client, connected to online store database.
- Created and maintained visual design spec in compliance with platform guidelines.
- Worked in London, UK, with Nokia Design on motion graphics for mobile applications.
- Worked with software developers for implementing and iterating user interface.
- Created prototypes in QML and made changes in project source code with developers.
Westmedia Film & Post
Feb 2009 – Dec 2011 (2y, 11m)
Computer playback is the stuff that happens on computer screens in film and TV. Usability isn’t a factor, it just has to look great. The focus is on exaggerated messaging and providing the illusion of interactivity, when in fact the sequences are usually controlled by an operator off camera. I created playback for many shows, both for use on set and in post production.
- Created applications for computer playback on macOS and Windows
- Created apps for iPhone/iPad/Android using Flash and Actionscript 3
- 3D motion graphics on many TV productions and feature films
Thor, Final Destination 5 ,This Means War, GI Joe, Iron Man 2, Transformers 2-3, Human Target, Supernatural season 4-6, V seasons 1-2, Caprica, Defying Gravity
Dec 2008 – Jun 2008 (6m)
Front End Artist
“Fire Arm” Dev Team
I joined an established studio working on original IP for AAA console games. The close collaboration of art, design and engineering formed a model of how I see successful teams today.
- Agile software development.
- Created interface graphics for open world action games using Flash and Scaleform.
- Created animations for team identity and game intro.
- Coded casino mini-games in flash using Actionscript2.
Game Titles (unreleased): Scarface II, Treadstone
Jun 2007 – Nov 2007 (6m)
Supernatural Season III
I developed production management, editing, and image composition skills. All while working in a small team of artists creating demons, ghosts and other ‘supernatural’ effects at a pace that few other industries can match.
- Created the opening title sequence for the Supernatural season 3.
- Combined CG, special effects and live action footage for visual effects shots.
- Rotoscoping, colour correction, motion tracking (2d and 3d).
Blue Castle Games / Backbone Ent.
2005 – 2007 (2y)
Front End Artist
Console and Mobile Development
I started in games at a independent studio, working primarily on titles for mobile devices. I collaborated closely with developers to overcome stringent technical constraints, and bring a rich experience to players.
- Created interface graphics and animation for mobile and console games.
- Maintained the interface directory in version control / build system.
- Coded a layout tool which exported XML data describing art placement and animation.
- Optimized interface performance and memory use.
- Worked with game designers to identify interface requirements and iterate on design.
Sonic Rivals, Death Junior & the Science Fair of Doom, Monster Lab, Activision Anthology, Midway Live Arcade, Shadowborn, The Bigs
2000 – 2005 (5y)
Art Department / On Set & Location
I’ve several years of film industry experience. Where I embraced the creativity, passion and diversity of the crew, and the rigorous pace of production. I spent three seasons on Gene Roddenberrry’s Andromeda and worked on many other productions.
- Designed motion graphics and animation for computer playback.
- Submitted breakdowns of scripted playback requirements to production.
- Worked on set with the Playback Operator for presentation of graphics.
- Coded a quicktime media sequencer in Macromedia Director.
- Prioritized work to meet tight deadlines and shooting schedules (2 weeks/episode)
BloodRayne, Firewall, Best Friend, Meltdown, Kyle XY, Safe Harbour, Core: Boiling Point, Absolute Zero,Wrong Element, Special Unit 2, Level Nine, Saint Sinner, Scary Movie III
1996 – 2000 (4y)
Multimedia Designer / Developer
Ethereal Animation & Design
A friend and I founded our own studio, and were part of a diverse community of artists, designers, and engineers who collaborated to meet the needs of customers.
- Met with clients to identify project requirements and submit bids.
- Led small development teams on many cd-rom, multimedia and broadcast projects.
- Worked as a graphic designer and Lingo programmer.
- Created 3d animations and motion graphics for Investor Relations and IPO presentations.
- Coded CD-ROM projects based on quicktime digital video and panoramic photography.
- Created architectural pre-visualization of the Pacific-Cat fast ferries using 3D Studio.
Documentary Film Productions, EV Radvenis, Tilbury Cement/Construction Aggregates, Invert Adventures, Paramount Studios, CFI/BC Ferries, CP Hotels/ YVR, Neal McInerny Investor Relations, Imago
BC Institute of
1990 – 1992 (2y)
I started my career creating illustrations for training manuals. Inspired by Tufte’s “reduce all non-data-ink” – clarity of presentation and information formed the foundation of my approach to design.
- Created vector art work for illustrations in training manuals.
- Collaborated with technical writers to develop course material to teach people how to safely operate complex machinery and systems.
- Produced site maps, process schematics and equipment diagrams.
- Created 3d animations of equipment in cross-sectioned views or with transparent parts.
- Photographed installations and equipment at work sites.
- Interviewed engineers and equipment operators for their expert knowledge.
- Read blue prints and process instrumentation drawings.